From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of John Scrivner
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:33 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [Fwd: Durbin introduces bill
toencouragehighspeedinternetaccess in rural areas]

Let me be clear. I would rather the government stay out of broadband
altogether. I honestly mean that. I think it is a shame that our
government gets involved in as many things involving broadband as they
do. The trouble is that they will not stay out of our business. So the
next thing we have to decide is whether we just let them blindly
regulate, tax and screw up the system or if we take an active role in
making the system work for us if it is going to be working for someone.
I hope that makes sense. It is honestly how I feel and is why I am as
active in state and federal level issues as I am.  Think of it this way,
there will be grants for broadband over the next year, would you like it
or would you rather other people get it? Somebody will be getting that
money.

Most of my efforts have to do with providing tax breaks and other
incentives to smaller broadband companies to offer service in harder to
reach areas. I am also part of a few public / private partnering groups
who are trying to improve economic opportunity in our region by using
broadband as a catalyst. Maybe it will work or maybe it will not. The
one thing I can tell you though is that we are not creating new taxes.
We are using existing programs and our own money to try to make the
outlook for broadband and our economy better in our region (Southern
Illinois).
Scriv