I agree with Sam that the routers make an easy AP by turning off the
DHCP.  AP-only devices are no cheaper to make than routers since
the routing code in the internal firmware is basically free to them
(and, in the case of Linksys, open source).

AP-only devices (like the WRT54G equivalent, WAP54G) are quite a bit
more expensive than the equivalent router.  One reason is that the
AP-only devices often easily configure into a bridge (Ethernet to
Ethernet) or "cable-less cable" and this extra feature makes them
special and more valuable if you need that.

Another reason is that they are not mass marketed at every corner
Radio Shack (I just checked, the router is in every Radio Shack in
town and there are none of the APs in town.)

Due to the tremendous competition, you often see some brand of
wireless router for $19.95 in the Sunday paper advertising
packets...and Buy.com often has such promotions ($22.95 today for
a TRENDnet 802.11g after rebate but free shipping
http://www.buy.com/prod/q/loc/101/201683081.html ...ugly, eh?).

. . . j o n a t h a n
Jonathan Schmidt
Perftech