John Scrivner wrote:
My fee based network which was built with partnering agreements with my municipality before there was such a term as muni-wifi is doing about $40K a month in recurring revenue. Is that close enough to what you are looking for? :-)

Well in the case of the Philly airport which sells access at ~$8 per connection their revenue would be ~$80,000 per month. Most likely much less since a single day pass could have more than one connection and roaming connections pay less than $8. But, to answer more specifically, I don't think $40K per month is very much for a muni network.
The definition of muni-wifi needs to be made clear in order to understand the question fully. Connections per month generally applies to hotspot only type traffic. Are you relegating this definition of fee based muni-wifi to be strictly hotspot type connections? I want to make sure I understand what your question is and what you are looking for. What is the point of the question?
I agree I was vague mostly because I was trying to take the numbers from the Philly airport and apply it to muni Wi-Fi. My point was to imply that any network should have a reasonable return on investment and it doesn't appear that the Philly airport is getting that even I though I believe it is easier to earn revenue at an airport than from muni.

I guess the better way of looking at it is asking the question, "what is a reasonable return on investment?" IMHO, spending $15M on a muni network should see month revenue of $1.6M to $2.5M to make it reasonable.

-Matt