I can give you an idea of what 3G or WIMAX stuff is putting out. Product independent, I'm seeing it's typical to have 22-32dbm output plus antenna gain which is commonly anywhere from 11-16db. This is for the downlink(base station)... The uplink(CPE/phone) is almost always the limitation with these systems...practical size poses a limitation on antenna gain and battery power in mobile units. Your looking at ~18-24dbm out plus a 0-2db internal antenna on mobile device, ~6db ant on desktop device, and then a whole other antenna range(maybe 12-24db) for wall mount or external CPE. The antenna gains will be less on the lower spectrums(900MHz compared to 2.5GHz)... These specs are pretty similar between license exempt and licensed BWA products exept for maybe sensitivity...the difference with licensed is that they can actually take advantage of -100db radio sensitivities due to operator controllable interference. A common myth is that these system put out tons of watts and that's how they perform NLOS. This is not true or realistic unless someone is diong the 'supercell' approach(think satellite?)...as the operator may have as little as 15-30MHz to cover a complete geographic area. Frequency re-use calls for using things like GPS sync, ATPC, etc...and blasting out 1000W EIRP from a sector pretty much kills that idea :)

Jon Langeler
Michwave Tech.

George Rogato wrote:

Anyone know how powerful the cell phone sites are?

I'm trying to do a comparison between cell and fixed wireless.

Thanks

George

--
Jon Langeler