I've been tracking the madwifi power issues for a while now, and there are a number of open tickets relating to txpower. Nobody seems to be working on them.

The ubiquiti cards apparently have a firmware "hack" that actually sets a higher txpower for lower (IIRC 15-17) power settings via iwconfig. I haven't seen that with the Engenius high-power cards, although my testing is very ad hoc. I don't have a spectrum analyzer handy, but that may change soon :).

FWIW...

Bob
La Canada Wireless Association
Santa Fe, NM

rabbtux rabbtux wrote:
All,

I'm trying to evaluate my new SR9s.  I have 2 WRAP boards and 11db
antennas.  I seem to recall at one point that I saw the TX power
reported by iwconfig as 26db (700mw).  Now a couple weeks later when I
resume field tests, I noticed it was 16db.  I can change the power
down and iwconfig reports it, yet I can't change it above the 16 now
reported?

I swapped pigtails, and even SR9s to look at this.  Can anyone suggest
some way to verify power output short of a spectrum analyzer??

Thank you kindly,
marshall

Rabbit Meadows Technology
begin:vcard