I should point out that this calculator is for severe weather northern
climates.

If you live in some place that doesn't see week-long winter inversions or
dense cloud conditions that last a week or more, there are some assumptions
that can be altered some that will reduce, for instance, the battery
capacity requirements.

I have to prepare for up to 8 days in a row with NO generation whatsoever.
In fact, it'll be so dark that you can't drive without your lights, for fear
of getting hit.

But, for someone like Mac, who rarely has storms longer than 2 days,  it can
be adjusted.   The formula in the cell for "battery capacity" is set for 25
days of capacity.   Down in Louisiana, it could be dropped to 10 days, for
instance.

If you're putting this on a mountaintop, where snow may occaisionally
obscure the panels for a while after a storm, you might need to up the
battery "days" to 30 or 45, just to be safe.   Maybe you have some site that
gets fogged in...   That must be taken into account.

If you're going to do that, then your margin better hit close to 20 percent,
too.

Set your system voltage,  you can find your "insolation" value here:

http://www.solarseller.com/solar_insolation_maps_and_chart_.htm

Use the "minimum" figure in the field labelled "hours".

It's not exact, but close enough to work.

neofast.net - fast internet for North East Oregon and South East Washington
email me at mark at neofast dot net
541-969-8200
Direct commercial inquiries to purchasing at neofast dot net