----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Tonight: Join SavetheInternet.com on PBS

In Tampa, if Road Runner cut off Google, 66% of the people would be cut off from Google. Many would complain. But how many would change if RR put up a similar search page?
How many would switch? And to what?? Crappy, blinking DSL?
In my area, my RR has been solid for 6 years. My DSL bounces often. Enough to affect my VoIP ATA.

Many, many people only have 1 choice for a Broadband provider, not 2 and certainly not many.
So what then?

That's where the argument hits the road.
Since BB Provider choice is so limited, you will end up with a walled garden like Prodigy.

BTW, on MY cell phone, there is no per minute charge for the internet, but it is a limited choice of sites.
Just what Nextel lets me see/have/look at - when it is available.

- Peter

Sam Tetherow wrote:

From a marketing/sales perspective the proposed plan is a "no win" for the broadband providers. If I'm Comcast and I go to Google and say pay up or else, what is my follow through? If Google says "no thank you" as I'm sure they will, you have just told your customer that their internet experience is going to be worse than before because Google refused to pay for bandwidth on your network. Now as Joe Customer on Comcast's network I have two choices regardless of how I feel about Google not paying up. I can either put up with crappy or no service to YouTube and Google or I can go somewhere else.

The problem with this scenario, from a Comcast perspective, is that the customer's choices have no positive impact on their Comcast experience. The best they can do from a Comcast perspective is put up with a degraded internet experience. Not a choice any businessman would want to force on a customer.

If you are Comcast going to Google, what do you ask for? I would think anything less that $0.50/customer would be a waste of time. Raising your broadband price $0.50/month is not going to cause a big stir and mass migration. Sure you are going to get other people to pay eventually, but how many can really afford it beyond Google, Yahoo and MSN for instance.

Now, from a Google perspective $0.50/customer/month for Comcast is going to be $4.5 mil extra every month and for the top 5 providers it is going to be $16 mil per month. I doubt they are going to be able to pay .

And finally, from a competition perspective, you are Verizon and Comcast has just issued the ultimatum to Google who said no, do you follow suite and hit Google up as well or do you now advertise that you have an 'express lane' to Google and Comcast customers are more than welcome to the fold. Instead of getting $0.50/customer out of Google you get X many new customers from Comcast. The content provider's pockets aren't deep enough to make sticking them more profitable than sticking your customer. It is back to a volume question. Do I sell 10 items at a $1000 markup and make $10000 or do I sell 10000 items at a $1 markup to make my $10000. You are going to have a lot more potential customers on the $1 markup.

I just don't see the teeth in the argument. Way too many things have to align, against natural market forces, make the doomsday a reality.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless