They seem confused about what kind of tower this was,
but Advanced Computer & Communications Systems
is a WISP in Frankfort.

Worker rescued from cell tower in fair condition
By BETH STUTSMAN
[EMAIL PROTECTED] FRANKFORT - A maintenance worker was rescued early today after spending 19 hours at the top of a paging tower here.

Jeff Burnett, of Lebanon, was up 280 feet on the 300-foot tower, according to Chief Greg Miller of the Frankfort Fire Department. The tower is located on the north side of the city off Burlington Avenue, just south of County Road 100 North.

Burnett, who works for Advanced Computer & Communication Systems, Inc., was doing regular maintenance duties on the tower for ACCS and was unable to make the descent when he finished the work.

According to Miller, Burnett had begun work around 10 a.m. Wednesday when he climbed the tower. When he was finished working, around 7 p.m., he was simply too exhausted to climb down, Miller said.
Rescuers were not able to bring Burnett down until 5 this morning.

Miller said Burnett climbed the tower by himself. Using a safety harness that connects with a cable inside the tower, Burnett climbed a ladder that begins inside the tower and then switches to the outside farther up. He was stuck on the outside of the tower.

A work crew on the ground, who had radio communications with Burnett, then phoned for help. Burnett was not immediately available for comment. Representatives from ACCS also did not immediately return messages left for comment today.

Frankfort Fire Department and Lafayette Fire Department responded, but firefighters believed they did not have the equipment to bring Burnett down safely and securely, Miller said. Miller said Frankfort firefighters train for rescues typically of up to 100 feet off the ground.

Lt. Mike Blann, special operations officer with the Lafayette Fire Department, said his men haven't trained on anything higher than 150 feet. He said the Lafayette Fire Department also only had one anti- fall device that would work with the cable in the tower. That meant that only one firefighter could go up safely.

That's when the Indianapolis Fire Department was called. Battalion chief Rick Ham of the Frankfort Fire Department said that the call for assistance went out around midnight.

Blann said Indianapolis firefighters specifically train for antenna rescues. "Antennas are a different ball game," Blann said.

With more towers going up and considering this incident, Blann said, "This drives that point home that we need to do that" - to train for antenna rescues. Blann said his Lafayette firefighters have a training session set up this spring for just that.

Rescuers were able to get Burnett down by 5 a.m. and he was transported to St. Vincent Frankfort Hospital. Ham said Burnett was conscious and alert throughout the rescue. A hospital spokeswoman said Burnett was in stable condition this morning.

Miller said four Indianapolis firefighters climbed the ladder of the tower, using ropes and pulleys. They were able to secure ropes above Burnett, attach him to those and lower him to the ground. The four rescuers then climbed down the tower.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "onlinetowercommunity" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It was a guyed tower. He was stuck near the 280' torque arm/cell tenant area. http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Zac Smith" <blackhalo7@> wrote:

> Yes...
> > On 10/19/06, Sammy Smith <gitterdone12000@> wrote:
> >
> >   And is there such an animal as a 280' monopole?
> >
> > Sam
> >
> > http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=6614
> >
> > JLBConstinc@ <JLBConstinc%40aol.com> wrote:
> > what was he doing on site by himself?
> >
> > Jason L. Bentley
> > JLB Construction Inc.
> > President
> > Office: 319-984-6144
> > Fax: 319-984-6148
> > Mobil: 319-493-1388
> > email: Jason.Bentley@<Jason.Bentley%40JLBConstructionInc.com>

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/