Scriv needs to hire a good consultant to come check things out!

big grin

Anyway, I've seen things like this before.  Not this bad, but close enough.

There have been a few causes.

First, as I recall, this ONLY effects towers within a 15 mile radius. But it effects ALL towers within that "cell". right?????

Assuming I remember that part correctly. I've seen CPE lock it's self into a tx mode. It'll still work, but will drive the system nuts.

I've seen customers download or upload massive files (usually ptp stuff) and open up hundreds of connections and whack a tower. If it's the right tower and interferes with the other towers anywhere near it.

I've been knocked offline by towers over 30 miles away! OK, that was a ptp wmux system with 8' dishes and 30dB of tx power, but still, it happened. With the new gear I'm using these days I can detect ap's 30+ miles away. If conditions are JUST right, that could add quite a bit of noise locally.

There are times when radios go bad and start transmitting OUT of band. I've seen wifi stuff flood the whole band.

Amps can do that too.

USUALLY it's the ap's that take it in the shorts when something like this happens. After all, they are all up above the trees etc.

I've also seen computers take out entire networks when they get infected. If you don't have client to client blocking enabled on your ap's they could be massively overloaded with traffic that you'll not be able to see with a scan tool at the router, it could be traffic that's not even ip traffic! Remember, most of the gear we use with pass netbeui, ipx, appletalk etc. I think the fact that towers that have routers on them between the OTHER ap's and the backhaul should prevent this.

Is it possible that your 900 and 5 gig gear ALWAYS has a router at the cpe and the 2.4 doesn't? As I recall the Waverider gear, the ap is a router, that would keep things that would flow on a switch off of the 900 system.

Are there any towers that are sectorized that point in a direction that makes them unaffected?

Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam