Hi,

Buy a vertical omni and do a site survey. If everything looks clear, install it. Hook up customers. However, when/if the noise starts, be prepared to sectorize. :)

Travis
Microserv

Brian Rohrbacher wrote:
Let me add a little about what I have to work with. There are 4036 people in the township which is my main coverage area (I fork out a little, but the number are inline with these). 2,288 have access to DSL and Cable. This leaves 1748 people to go after. How many of those want broadband? I just did a quick google and the only number I saw said 30% of rural Americans have broadband. So I'll go with that for my number of who wants it. 30% is about 500 people. I guess this means my township that is 36 square miles has almost 15 subscribers per square mile that are ripe for the picking. And then add the fact that there are 2 total WISPs in this area. Cut the subs in half. I have 7 subs per square mile to go hook up. Wait, it seems like 50% of my site surveys fail due to the darn trees, at least I can still get those 3.5 subs per square mile. :) Now that I have given a little more info, do you guys still recommend sectors?

Brian

Brian Rohrbacher wrote:

Problem is I might only get 10-15 subs at these sites in the next year. Lets say I can buy 10 APs. I'd rather have 10 sites with omni's than 5 sites with 180* sectors. At 15 subs a site I'd have 150 subs on 10 omni's at $35 a month. That is $5250 a month. If I sectorize 5 sites with 15 subs that is 75 subs and only $2625 added to the monthly income.

Back to reality. I can't afford 10 APs.....but still, I don't see sectors as being such a great thing. What is the point of doubling the cost of a pop for no gain of subscribers?

Back to my question. If a guy wanted to use omni's for 900. What is a good choice?

Brian
Chris Cooper wrote:

We have a legacy 900 omni at 750' AGL. It really reaches out and touches remote customers, but it is visible to every other cell in the region and affects channel planning. Stick to sectors, they might be more expensive up
front but long term you will have more options.