Sigh. Jon, I'm really not sure why you beat that drum when examples
exist all around that show it is not true. In fact, no tier 1 or 2
operator that deploys in the 5GHz unlicensed bands (i.e. operators that
tend to do lengthy trials, comparisons) that I know of has fallen for
that argument either, at least not for long. Many WISPs also know
better. It is only a few Canopy-based WISPs who continue to believe that
GPS is required in the UL bands. Could it be because they have to use it
to get Canopy to scale so they can't imagine how other systems could
scale well without it?

As for the non-engineer part, it seems Jon that you'd benefit from some
wider non-technical thinking. What about the business? Here are some
BUSINESS-minded things to think about:

- What about an operator that does not want to be stranded by being
limited in their service offering, such as one that would like to do
scaled VoIP? BreezeACCESS VL can scale VoIP very well where other
systems struggle with only minimal users. Canopy Advantage's VoIP
scaling abilities are there for all to see in Motorola's own white paper
-- 26-28 simultaneous calls per AP only, and that's with a 50%
uplink/downlink configuration. VL can do 10x that and that all equates
to revenue potential.
- What about the LOS-limited coverage of Canopy that might require 2 or
more times the towers to get the same coverage as one cell of VL? Even
cell for cell, CAPEX is now similar between brands, but VL produces
about 2x the geographic coverage. Canopy requires more cells (i.e.
higher OPEX due to more cell leases and more sectors to maintain) and
needs more premium sites.
- And that's not counting the customer accessibility -- even within the
exact same geography, VL can "see" many more of the potential customers
than can Canopy.
- And what about cell capacity? Using the same channel sizes, Canopy
needs 2x the sectors to get still 15% less than VL?
- And what about subscriber capacity? Anyone in the cell that wants more
than 14mbps is totally out of the revenue picture and business model --
even with a Canopy ptp. BreezeACCESS VL pmp can connect 15mbps, 20mbps,
25mbps and even higher speed demanding customers.
- And for sure now even the cost equation is now equal or better for VL
than Canopy both per cell and per CPE since the advent of the
AlvarionCOMNET program for WISPs.

If you analyze completely today, you may find that Canopy's GPS ability
is the only thing left that can even be spun as being an advantage over
BreezeACCESS VL since we have come out with v.4.0 and the AlvarionCOMNET
program. And when you realize that Canopy needs 2x sectors PER cell (to
get the same capacity) and about 2x cells PER geography (to achieve the
same coverage) -- it becomes pretty clear why Canopy must have GPS.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.
o: 650.314.2628