In general what is considered a better combination, lower powered radio
w/ higher gain antenna or higher powered radio w/ lower gain antenna?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 12:04 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] StarOS or Microtik with TRCPQ clients...

OK, lets be clear on what the rules are today guys.  (Why did I know
that
THIS thread was gonna turn out to be a ton of fun (said the pot to the
kettle))

Here's how it works.  If you have a AP out there it can have a MAX
output of
4 watts.  36dB.  That holds true for 900, 2.4 and 5.8 bands.  I forget
what
the strange 5.7 unii band rules are but I think they are 4 watt also, at
the
ap.

The 5.2 (some call it the 5.3) gig band has a 1 watt limit.

As for antenna choices, you can use any antenna of the SAME type as long
as
it's of equal or lower gain AND the same type.  If you are using an ap
radio
(doesn't matter if it's in a tranzeo box, war board or mt or whatever
anymore) certified with a 15 dB vpol omni then you can use any vpol omni
of
similar in and out of band specs that's 15 dB or less.  Want to run a 15
dB
hpol omni?  Nope, gotta go get it certified with that (I could be wrong
on
this one but I don't think so).  Certainly if you want to put a sector
on,
so sorry, no can do.  Unless that is, it's certified with *A* sector.

Here's the really fun part.  Under the NEW rules (from a year or two
ago) if
you want to run an amp it has to be a part of a COMPLETE system.  AND
the
devices have to be keyed to each other.  Meaning that the ap and the amp

have to have unique connectors or be electronically keyed to each other.

Thanks Michael Young formerly of YDI.

On the cpe side things get even more fun. I'm only gonna talk about ISM
rules as I keep forgetting exactly what the UNII rules are and few mix
and
match in the UNII band anyway.

900 mhz
4 watts max.  You can use any antenna you want as long as it's of the
same
type (grid, yagi, panel) and similar specs as the LARGEST one certified
with
the radio.  If they certified a 20 dB yagi, you can use almost any yagi
that's 20dB or less.  If they certified no yagis you can't use one.

2.4 ghz
Starts at 4 watts.  30 dB of radio output and 6dB of antenna gain.  For
ever
dB you reduce the radio output you can raise the antenna gain by 3dB.
At 24
dB of radio output (250mw) you can put on a 24dB grid.  This gives you a

total of 60 watts of output.  Same rules apply though.  If the radio
isn't
certified with a grid antenna or with one that's less than 24 dB you
can't
do this.  Make sure that your radio manufacturers are certifying
everything
with the LARGEST antenna of all common types!!!!!  If they aren't
certified
with anything but a consumer grade rubber ducky, we can't legally use
the
radios.

5.8 ghz
Starts with 4 watts.  30dB of radio output and 6 dB of antenna gain.  Go
as
big as you want with the antennas, no need to drop the radio power.
Same
other rules about certification apply.

Is my network perfect?  Nope.  Is it all within eirp limits?  You bet.
Well, I've got one sector that used to be an omni and I need to pull our
the
amp but I'll save that project for better weather.  And it's only
hurting me
(does create a LOT of interference on one of my other systems in town).
Do
I go around bragging about, or complaining about compliance issues?
Nope.

That said, I'm working very hard to correct any compliance issues we
have.
It'll take another year or two, but I'll have everything certified.
Things
are growing too fast and getting too good to think that we can stay
under
the radar.  Eventually there will have to be a crack down.  Or another
change in the rules.  I'm not sure which will happen, I prefer at least
an
eirp crackdown.  It's hard enough competing in this industry without a
bunch
of people that don't understand that more is not better most of the time

screwing up the airways.  (BTW, that's the bad thing about rec.
thresholds.
They tend to raise the overall noise floor which, in the end, is the
same as
running more amps out there.)

If you hire a consultant that doesn't at least explain all of this to
you,
go hire a new consultant.  The one you have either doesn't know the
rules or
he's only in it to take your money.  And if he'll take your money
without
worrying about your long term legality, what else will he do to you?

Let the Marlon bashing begin!
Marlon
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam