From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:27 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] SSH DOS Killing Linux

We recently had a really nasty DOS attack that took down a large part of
our
network across several cell sites, from the infected client all the way
the Internet transit.
Take note that we identified the problem quickly and cured it quickly.
But.... This is the first time that this has occured in 5 years, as we
have
a good number of smart design characteristics that have limited the
effects
of most viruses on our network.  We stopped the attack, by blocking SSH
the infected sub.  The average amount of traffic crossing the entire
network
path from the client to the Internet was about 500 kbps on average.
(This
was a  20 mbps wireless link, and a 100mbps fiber trnasport link to the
transit.). The two routers were a P4 2Ghz, and a Dual XEON 2.2Ghz w/
10,000rpm SCSI3.  The damage was that the CPU was nailed on both routers
about 99.9% using "TOP" to monitor stats.  We varified that successful
SSH
sessions were not made directly to the protected routers themselves.
Take
note that the wireless links were barely effected, it was the router 2
hops
away (Dual XEON) that got over loaded the most.  Our routers have been
tested to pass over 2 gbps of throughput easilly.  And have been load
tested
to survive very small packets and high PPS adequately. The infected sub
was
bandwidth managed with HTB to 256k cir, 1 mbps mir, but not anything for

PPS.  So I'm looking for reasons that the CPU got overloaded.  My theory
is
that the DOS attack resulted in a large number of disk writes, ( maybe
logging?) causing the CPU saturation.  I've had a hard time locating the

cause. And have not discovered which virus yet, although I should have
more
info soon from my clients.

So my question....

What needs to be done on a Linux machine to harden it, to protect
against
CPU oversaturation, during DOS attacks?

What should and shouldn't be logged? Connection Tracking? Firewall
logging?
Traffic stats?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc