Another thing for my R&D department! Thanks! -RickG

On 1/7/07, Butch Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, David E. Smith wrote:

>> This is for the end user cpe side. I'd like to see both fail-over and
>> load balancing but fail-over is priority. No need for wireless. I'll
>> look into the microtik. Thanks! -RickG

Rick, keeping in mind that "load balancing" where you don't control
both ends of both links is not truly possible, there is a way to
SORT OF get this effect.  The problem is that some things have to be
treated in a special way when you are using NAT (actually,
masquerade, but we won't go there).  VoIP, P2P, VPN and a few others
come to mind.  Either way, there are some things you can do to make
this work with MT, and it's not that hard, but it IS a bit time
consuming to get it right.

As for failover, there are several ways to do this, and some of them
are pretty simple.  A bit of scripting knowledge is required, but
other than that, it is not that bad to do.  There are some examples
in the manual (as David pointed out)

>Mikrotik RouterOS manual. In a pinch, I know we've got one or two
>Mikrotik trainers on the list; you could get them to show you how
>to do it. You only have to pay for it once, then you can just
>copy-and-paste the configuration from there on out. :D

Well, copy/paste for policy routing is not really that cut and
dried.  It is best to understand what the policy states, then moving
it to a new system is not that hard.  As I said, it is somewhat time
consuming to get it working, however.

>Fair warning, I haven't used the RouterBoard 150 hardware I
>mentioned, but most of their other hardware has treated me well, so
>I wouldn't expect that board to be any different.

I like the 150...it is a very inexpensive solution for a low end
router (just $70 plus a case and powersupply).  The 153 is only $120
and you can add radio cards.

--
Butch Evans
http://www.butchevans.com/