I bought a Nokia E61 in Germany.  I slipped my Cingular SIM card into it and
I'm on the air.  The Cingular version cripples Wi-Fi...don't get it.  This
is the same phone with Wi-Fi.

So, with mine, I am my office phone extension off our office Asterisk VoIP
wherever there's a hotspot.. for free and that's important in Europe where
Cingular charges me $1.35/min to use my phone.  That coupled with Bluetooth,
apps that display PDFs, WORD, Powerpoint, etc., it's a terrific phone ...I'm
just waiting for the Apple iPhone with the bigger display that should do the
same. At my age, I need a bigger display.

The Cingular "Edge" is about like a bonded ISDN speed through Cingular
instead of a hotspot.  It's not bad for $19.95/mo. for all you can eat but
not capable of good VoIP.  But, browsing and IMAP E-mail...it's a terrific
alternative.

Nevertheless, with both Wi-Fi and "Edge" I'm covered.  I also use the GPRS
when on trains.  On Amtrack, it's all free...part of the $19.95 monthly
Internet access fee.  But, it was amazing when I went from Brussels to Paris
on the fast train and my laptop never missed a beat with its Internet
connection via Bluetooth through my pocket phone through their GPRS.  Of
course, when I got back, I had a $200 bill for the European connectivity!

Again, if the Apple iPhone is as capable as my Nokia E61...with a bigger
screen and lots of memory...and, thinner?...I'll get it.

. . . j o n a t h a n