What I would do: Put in an AP, see who associates. If the leasing company decides to repo their CPE, let them. The customer will (hopefully) call you, and you can go out and put in a new CPE. At that time, the cable will probably still be in place, and you will know that the CPE will work where it was mounted. Treat the CPE as if you own them, and replace them as if they failed in the event of a repo. In the mean time, you might get 12 months revenue off of the abandoned CPE, and the leasing company won't have any legal reason to charge you anything, since your name isn't on the contract. Its not unethical, IMO. The leasing company is getting the shaft from the lessee, but its not really your problem. If the leasing company contacts you, or if you contact them, or whatever, I wouldn't offer them NEAR retail to buy them back.

Short answer: Swoop. The hard part has been done by the guy who walked.

pd

Mike Ireton wrote:
An operator in my local area, covering a small area I would nevertheless like to have, recently just upped and walked away from his operation, leaving all cpe in place and some very confused customers who were told to go get cable or dsl. He was very short with me in email and indicated that the equipment was leased and that he had had enough with trying to scratch out something more than an avarage living and is glad to be rid of it and out of the business, and no further communication will be possible, end of story.

Ethics question: Do I swoop in with my own backhaul and reactivate the system using the existing cpe units (mostly motorola, right up our alley), or do we build a new system from scratch and avoid these now defunct cpe's like the plauge?