Marshall,

True IPSec is not NAT friendly.  The reason is because the client
connects to the VPN Server, whether it was TCP/UDP and says...I want a
VPN Connection.  The VPN Server, if it is IPSec, will then create a GRE
tunnel directly to the client.  The reason it won't work via NAT is
because you are modifying the headers of the packet at the NAT device,
therefore destroying the integrity of the packet because the checksums
that are sent through (inside the encrypted tunnel) no longer match the
packet.

Now, Cisco (and many others) allow for the modification of the header to
happen, and ignores the header information.  This allows you to NAT the
packets to the clients via the Destination NAT rules.

You will have to create two rules, one that says DNAT UDP traffic from
x.x.x.x port xx to [PUBLIC IP] DNAT to y.y.y.y port xx (use the private
IP you are trying to NAT outbound for y.y.y.y).  You also need to DNAT
(protocol) 47 from x.x.x.x to [PUBLIC IP] DNAT to y.y.y.y.  If you do it
specifically from the VPN server they are trying to contact, you are
still able to do the same IPSec forwarding to other clients.

PPTP is Microsoft's answer to NAT and VPN.  It is VPN friendly, but it
"Supposedly" is less secure...but it is fine for most businesses, and
works WELL behind NAT on either end.

Eric