Likelihood of unlicensed???

My guess is that the established communications carriers and the broadcasters will fight the concept of license-free use of this space. I expect it will come down to who lobbies Congress most effectively.

Mario Pommier wrote:

Any info through the grapevine about the likelihood of this spectrum becoming unlicensed? Then, I suppose a standard will have to be drafted and approved before we see any gear. So is that a couple of years if we're lucky before we can use sub-700Mhz to penetrate through trees in rural America?
Thanks.

Mario

Dawn DiPietro wrote:

All,

This might clear up some confusion about which spectrum might become unlicensed.
As quoted from the press release;

"The WIN Act specifically requires the FCC to permit license-free use of the unassigned broadcast spectrum between 54MHz and 698 MHz within 180 days of enactment. This legislation will enable entrepreneurs to provide affordable, competitive high-speed wireless broadband services in areas that otherwise have no connectivity to broadband Internet."

Links below;
http://kerry.senate.gov/v3/cfm/record.cfm?id=267392
http://www.newamerica.net/programs/wireless_future

Regards,
Dawn DiPietro

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Newsletters Downloadable from http://ask-wi.com/newsletters.html