Thanks guys for the input.
I tested cacti, was an easy install, but the setup seemed so
counterintuitive for me that I had to look for another alternative.
Currently I am having success with zabbix   www.zabbix.com  which
compiled and installed without a hitch. Much easier IMO to manage.
creates all the nice graphs I want, capable of producing network maps.
seems capable of scaling nicely. so far so good....
Steve