From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:46 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Local WISP Fined by FCC ...

Well that depends how noisy the 5.3 and 5.8 bands are that the custoemrs
got
turned to. Even worse news if you are using 5.3 and 5.8.
That means there is likely going to be an interference war, customers'
quality of service is going to go down.  It could result in multiple
WISPs
loosing customers, IF CUSTOMERS have non-wireless options.  These are
the
things that create doubt in customer's minds.  Not necessarilly the
details
of the violation, but the never knowing when there could be an
interference
problem effecting QOS.  I'd argue that Neptune network's illegal use of
spectrum, prevented interference for unlicensed broadband in PR.  If
someone
were to break the rules, I'd rather them broadcast in 5.1G, than in 5.3G
at
overpowered levels.  Exceeding power limts, creates interference for the

legal competitors. Broadcasting at 5.1, just causes liabilty for the law

breaker. That statement is being made assuming that he was not causing
5.1G
interference with other legal 5.1G licensed users.  So are the legal
licenced holder's currently actively using 5.1Ghz?  I'm in no way
condoning
illegal use of spectrum, I'm just discussing the severity of the
violation,
and the severity of a violation should effect the fine that is imposed
for
inforcement.  For example someone who breaks the law, as a defenses
measure
to temporarilly get their subscribers up, after interference took them
down
on their intial legal channels, should be treated more leaniently than a

gross abuser.  In Neptune's case, it was a clear planned violation at a
large number of sites for a long amount of time.  I'd argue that that
case
was a gross abuser, and required little leaniency.

But I'd have to argue that $20,000 is a pretty cheap fine and leanient,
more or less operate like they have a license for 5 years. Neptune was
clearly a winner in that event.  But I think the FCC was leanient in
this
case, because Neptune immediately conformed on request. I'm pretty sure
Neptune could have been given a $10,000 fine per site, if the FCC really

wanted to be nasty. But its a difficult thing though, when ISPs are
serving
the underserved.  If the WISP is fined to heavilly, they go out of
business
and consumers suffer (Schools, hospitols, Students, etc).  So I think
the
FCC is sending a warning to the industry on this one.  Get legal, or it
could get ugly.