From: S.Y.W.S.S. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:11 AM
To: isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com
Subject: Re: [isp-wireless] FBI .......... Changed to CALEA and WISPs...

This just in from the FCC.

Apparently the WISP community is discussing both obligations under CALEA
and obligations to file FCC Form 477.  I am in the Commission's Wireline
Competition Bureau and what I know about is the FCC Form 477.  CALEA
matters are handled by the Commission's Public Safety & Homeland
Security Bureau.  That Bureau's website is http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/ and
they have a page about CALEA at http://www.fcc.gov/calea/, which lists
the FCC staff working on CALEA matters and their phone numbers and
provides general information about CALEA.

As required by law, FCC Form 477 has been reviewed and approved by the
President's Office of Management and Budget (OMB).  The Commission's
legal right to ask for the information in FCC Form 477 is set out in the
last section (at pages 16-17) of the FCC Form 477 Instructions at
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form477/477instr.pdf.

As I wrote to you yesterday, the definition of "facilities-based" for
the purposes of FCC Form 477 -- and I emphasize, for the specific
purposes of FCC Form 477 -- includes the following (see the next-to-last
paragraph on page 1 of the FCC Form 477 Instructions):

"For the purposes of Form 477, an entity is a 'facilities-based'
provider of broadband connections to end user locations if it . . .
provisions/equips a broadband wireless channel to the end user location
over . . . unlicensed spectrum."