Actually, the standard for connecting the mediation box to the LEA (known as
LAES) has been finalized.  The standard for connecting from the router to
the mediation box (T1-IAS I believe) will be finalized later this month.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Butch Evans
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:28 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: CALEA - HOW? RE: [WISPA] Form 445

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Rick Smith wrote:

>OK, Don't point me to some confusing URL I don't have time (or
>patience) to read about how to comply with CALEA.

The most difficult thing about the CALEA compliance issue is that the format
of the data has not, yet, been finalized.  This makes it impossible (IMNSHO)
to determine exactly how compliance is gonna look.  Here is what IS known:

1. You must be able to send the data (in a yet to be determined
format) via a secure connection to the requesting LEA (law enforcement
agency)

2. The LEA will supply you with a subpoena requesting information on a
specific customer.

3. You must be able to capture (and forward) ALL traffic to and from that
customer.  This means even traffic between that customer and another of your
customers, so a sniffer at the border is NOT enough.

4. The "target" cannot know his data is being logged.

I don't think I missed any of the "major points".  I have heard that PCAP
(tcpdump or MT packet sniffer) format is possibly going to be an approved
format, but it CANNOT be a "store and forward".  In other words, it MUST be
streamed to the LEA.

I have heard, but I can't confirm (since, I am only an associate
member) that the principle member's list has better insight into what WISPA
is doing on behalf of the membership.  (This was gleaned from various posts
on the mailing list here, and is just an
assumption.)  Either way, membership is a good idea.  ;-)

If I missed anything, perhaps someone here can point it out.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879