Andrew Niemantsverdriet wrote:

We are looking to start offering VOIP to our customers. What are your
suggestions to get started? Roll our own? Resell somebody elses? Also
what things should I avoid, or common mistakes?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

_
/-\ ndrew

It depends on whether you are selling to Resi or Biz.

Due to E-911, LNP and call quality, you may want to partner with a local CLEC. (LNP is the ability to port the customer's number, so that they can keep it with you. No one wants to give up their phone number). Why partner? PRI inter-connect to the PSTN will provide you with great call quality for your clients. The less time your call is on the Internet, the better the quality. (You can control call quality on your network).

Most ISP's won't see more than 500 customers unless they have 5000 BB customers now - and want to hump on selling it.

Boingo just announced a $7.95 wi-fi VoIP offering, so Resi voice is getting close to zero (Skype now costs a few dollars per year).

White label is better because YOU don't have to become a VOIP expert, just a VoIP installer and marketer. Even with 300 clients, you will be spending a great deal of time keeping the voice rolling - the Asterisk box running, the LNP, e-911, 411, billing, O/T, etc.

It depends on your commitment to the project.

And how will you market it?

Upsell is usually between 5-10%. VZ is blowing millions in advertising on FiOS to get a take rate they say is 12-15% (depending on the report).

Just a few thoughts for you. I can certainly take you through a decision tree to help you find out what is best suited for you right now and help you plan for growth. Thank you.

Regards,

Peter Radizeski
RAD-INFO, Inc. - NSP Strategist
We Help ISPs Connect & Communicate