From: Brian Magnuson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'WISPA General List'; isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com
Subject: RE: [WISP] Important and interesting FCC info about 5.47-5.75 GHz
certification

Patrick,

I sat on the NTIA (National Telecommunications and Industry Association)
standards committee in 2005 and early 2006. The FCC is forced into this
because of the DOD (Department of Defense). We had a difficult time keeping
the DOD happy due to the nature of the highly classified radar patterns.

The FCC will not allow ANY TCB (Telecommunications Certifications Body) to
certify the 5.470 to 5.725GHz for a year or until they become comfortable
with a specific TCB. The testing requires a $250,000 investment in equipment
with 180 separate test covering 30 different wave forms.

The only testing lab I know of is Elliott Labs http://www.elliottlabs.com in
Fremont California that has the required test equipment. After they complete
the test then the radios are shipped to Washington DC where the FCC will
perform the same test all over again to compare the results. This whole
process takes about 3 months if you are lucky.

I'm following 2 in process currently.

Regards,

Brian E. Magnuson
President