From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of wispa
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 1:22 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Some "unlicensed" history....

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:56:40 -0600, Rich Comroe wrote

> Scriv-
>
> Mark-
>
> IMO the FCC has certainly been just responding to the market over
> the last 15yrs (as you advocate).

Actually, I disagree.  I think the FCC was attempting to create a market
on
their own.  Cellular type service flourished.  The envisioned unlicensed

PCS was a flop.

I'm not going to profess to have the definitive answer as to why, my
view
of the topic is totally WISP centric,  I don't really CARE about
spectrum
reserved for devices that can't reach more than a couple hundred feet at

absolute best.  I just think that we might gain some understanding of
what's going on if we look at a current "flop" and "success".

I'm not really sure the FCC is responding to the market, either.  I
think
it responds to what those who can influence it say, and the motives for
what anyone says to it are never totally selfless altruism.  We want
3650
for our enrichment.  But with that enrichment comes competitive services

that benefit our customers.   One wit once said that "democratic self
governance is the worst form of governance, save all the rest", and many

other parallels have been drawn by wiser folks than me.

I'd restate it to say that free enterprise is the worst form of
delivering
necessities... except for any other form that's been invented so far.

So while it's easy to knock and criticise the "jumble" we call our
cellular
and internet providing system, there's simply not a real better
alternative.

Over this period I think I've
> become more and more against this as I assess how this has left
> the US and our airways.  In my opinion it's a BAD thing when I'm
> standing under a cell tower that cannot service my phone even
> though it's the same frequency.

I could not disagree more.  There's nothing more frustrating than being
stuck with a "one technology must fit and serve for all" set of rules.

I LEFT a GSM company due to the decidedly inferior service it provides,
go to one that runs a CDMA network on a lower frequency, because it's
decidedly better.  We all benefit from that kind of capability and
freedom.

In Europe all towers are mandated
> compatible as was PREVIOUSLY true in the US (while the EC still
> regulates European airways for what's best for their people).  The
> US airway have become a free-for-all of non-compatible
> technologies, with destructive consequences for US manufacturers,
>  operators, and the public in general.

I have no such emotions.  LEt them (europe) have the sucky GSM system.
Let
providers use whatever they want, and let the best one win.

When I worked for a
> manufacturer I voted what management judged was best for that
> manufacturer.  However, I'm now retired, and I've become a vocal
> advocate that the FCC should resume the role it once held as
> oversee-er to (at minimum) insure that all deployed equipment
> plays nice (if not compatibly).  I'm disappointed that FCC rules
> for unlicensed outdoor (all bands) never mandated a minimum set of
> play-nice media access rules (not to say I didn't cheerfully
> participate in a proprietary MAC product when I worked for one
> manufacturer ... but I think I've seen the error of those ways).

Well, you and I disagree.  To follow your thoughts, WISP's would all be
required to use the same technology, so we have "interoperability"
between
us.   Bahhh, forget that noise.

> The classic argument against this is that it inhibits innovation.
> Not true IMHO.  Just look at the 2.4GHz IEEE standards.  An
> organized standards body can, and does evolve standards (802.11b
> -> 802.11g) such that it is COORDINATED.  It's simply not true
> that standards lock you into obsolete technology.

No, standards do not.  They come and go.  Forcing the USE of specific
ones
is always a negative, when it comes to letting someone invent and sell a

better mousetrap.

I think the FCC
> relinquished its responsibility during the 2nd generation cellular
> licensing process where they became infatuated with how much the
> auctions could net monetarily ... if they simply allowed the
> winner to deploy whatever technology they felt like.  The airways
> belong to the American people.  It's my government, and I wished
> they acted in my best interests ... and not as a revenue generator
> for the federal budget.

I, for one, happen to think they DID do the right thing.  Thankfully,
I'm
not stuck with GSM garbage and I have a choice to use someone else's
better
idea for my area.

Maybe I'll even find a way to make future 3650 work mobile in my valley
and
I'll make my own ip phone network for cheap.

Or not.

But I want the option.  That "option" is essential.

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(42).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.