Yeah, it's completely possible, and will work.... well, at least once, until
the batteries are gone and need to be recharged.

The issue is the duty-cycle of the charger, your going from a 14ah to 100ah
charge load, the charger has to run 7-times as long to fully charge the
batteries, this may work fine with some higher end UPS, and some it might
burn up the charger.

Another thing to make note of, is that most UPS systems run an internal 24V
system, and not a 12V system, so be SURE which one you're dealing with
before you start any modifications.

We're in process of developing our own remote-site power solution.
Everything we've found is either too big physically, requiring expensive
outdoor enclosures, or doesn't have the run-time we desire, or is too
expensive.

I think we've got the basic design down, we're adding things like a local
power input option, so that in a long extended outage we can drop the
generator off to charge the batteries and run the system, and when the
utility power is restored, it will switch back automatically.

We're also looking into a direct 12v input from a vehicle cigarette lighter
output, or additional external batteries.

Would anyone have any interest in this when we get it complete?

Thanks,

Russ Kreigh
Network Engineer
OnlyInternet.Net