From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jack Unger
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 12:51 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650, ok, so what's current status?

If I remember correctly (and I hope anyone will jump in here with any
necessary corrections to the following) it's a "Special Temporary
Authorization". In the "Experimental Radio Service" which is the service

that I believe is applicable to on-air testing of 3650 MHz transmitters,

it is a temporary authorization to conduct the following types of
operation:

a) Experimentation in scientific or technical radio research.

b) Experimentation under contractual agreement with the United States
Government, or for export purposes.

c) Communications essential to a research project.

d) Technical demonstrations of equipment or techniques.

e) Field strength surveys by persons not eligible for authorization in
any other service.

f) Demonstrations of equipment to prospective purchasers by persons
engaged in the business of selling radio equipment.

g) Testing of equipment in connection with production or regulatory
approval of such equipment.

h) Development of radio technique, equipment or engineering data not
related to any existing or proposed service, including field or factory
testing or calibration of equipment.

i) Development of radio technique, equipment, operational data or
engineering data related to an existing or proposed radio service.

j) Limited market studies.

k) Types of experiments that are not specifically covered under
paragraphs (a) through (j) will be considered upon demonstrations of
need for such additional types of experiments.

Before applying for an STA, it's required to obtain, read, and
understand Part 5 (Experimental Radio Service) of Code of Federal
Regulations 47 (CFR 47). CFR 47 can be obtained from the Government
Printing Office.

jack

Mark McElvy wrote:

> What is STA?
>
> Mark

On
> Behalf Of Patrick Leary
> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 2:08 PM
> To: WISPA General List
> Subject: RE: [WISPA] 3650, ok, so what's current status?
>
> You are trying to wind me up aren't you George? :)
>
> Speaking to the community at large:
> The good folks at the FCC lab in MD are already buried. In part, some
of
> this is because of frivolous and disingenuous STA filings. Your
average
> simple STA used to take about 2 months tops to get approved. The same
> STA now takes over 1/2 a year. And remember, this is the same lab that
> is directly approving/certifying 5.4 GHz gear. In other words, for
every
> garbage STA the lab must process, everything the lab legitimately
needs
> to do only gets pushed out and delayed.
>
> Yes, it tweaks me to see so many processes abused; it is symptomatic
of
> the disregard by some for FCC rules. And yes, there is abuse of STAs
at
> the hands of some operators (not just some WISPs). Two years ago I
could
> point to no such abuse by our industry.
>
> And yes, I know I sound like a broken CD player, stuck on repeat.
>
> Patrick Leary
> AVP WISP Markets
> Alvarion, Inc.
> o: 650.314.2628
> c: 760.580.0080
> Vonage: 650.641.1243
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Newsletters Downloadable from http://ask-wi.com/newsletters.html

computer viruses(190).

computer viruses(43).

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.