Thanks very much Tom.

That is a very interesting subject indeed:
I think you have a very good insight on the current broadband/gigabit
marketplace, a very well written piece.
MMW is currently "high price - low volume" and there are far fewer MMW
deployments than FSO in the world so far AFAIK.
Part of that is also regulatory, relatively few countries have followed the
FCC lead and deregulated E-band (70-80GHz).  UK just has done (three
cheers!)
Prices WILL come down on MMW as the volumes go up.  And products will become
more mature too.

BTW, we sell both MMW and FSO, we're not picking a fight between the two.
FSO fades in fog, MMW in rain.  Some of the choice therefore depends where
you live!  Tropics is probably not too good a place for MMW ... And there
are some places where FSO suffers too.
We have deployed "Twinpath" FSO+MMW for some mission-critical applications
where 100% uptime was required - i.e. no single point of failure.  Sounds a
strange thing to do, but the result is about the most resilient wireless
connection you can get.

Required price points - interesting.  Both MMW and FSO technology is
inherently more expensive than current OFDM gear.  (We make/sell that too).
And being limited in range, requiring LOS, there are fewer MMW or FSO
applications - an OFDM radio can go 20km, or a few km near-LOS.
Right now, there's a lot of "buzz" about MMW, which is like FSO was 7-8
years ago.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the MMW market
matures.

Look forward to hearing more on this debate -

Best regards

Stephen Patrick
CableFree Solutions