Sorry I am not quoting inline- it was getting a bit cluttered.

Good points, Bob.

The brand new cell tower surplus isn't that readily available here.  Oh I
see it... cut into 20 ft lengths at the recycling place.  Saw some
elliptical waveguide there last week. Made me sick, but I couldn't have
afforded the connectors.

The 7/8" comes in handy when putting up a VHF or UHF commercial repeater,
though. And I forgot... a cell company did give me a leftover spool end a
couple of years ago.  It had enough runs in it to go up 3 of my 100 ft
towers.  They don't have guys either, but they do have a lot more than 1
yard of concrete and they have another way that they are held up. See if you
can guess what that is. (Matt Liotta is disqualified. He has seen them).

Regarding the 5.8, my statement said:
"2.4 GHz, you might consider 7/8", but for 5.8, better forget anything less
then 1 5/8", but most real users use waveguide."  You're right about the
cutoff frequency. I misread the chart where it said the cutoff was 8.8 GHz.
That was a 7/8 size.  I had set the program to show me both Heliax and
waveguide and there were just too many rows of data.  However, I actually
recommended waveguide.

A friend of mine took pictures of the XM installation at one of our sites.
You can see a bit of the black  waveguide and all of one of the connectors
at:  http://www.jawga.com/xm/xmwaveguide.jpg
Their cabinet is at:
http://www.jawga.com/xm/xmrack.jpg

I never meant to imply that anyone could issue a waiver- especially any
manufacturer. I was saying that in a "rots o ruck" type fashion.

Yes, the vehicle I have seen locally is an Explorer (or similar SUV). The
former vehicle was a ragged out old station wagon that reminded me of an
Olds Vista Cruiser.

As Marlon said- my ideal solutions would probably break the bank for any
WISP (except maybe Clearwire) but I was merely arguing for leaving the
radios on the tower for the absolute best efficiency.

Ralph