Mark Nash wrote:
> I had a customer tell me yesterday that he uses his Gnutella program to do
> unlimited downloads from a paid site.  I've used the Mikrotik routers (p2p
> queue set to 64k) to block this and other programs, so it's not working now
> for the customer.  I want to allow for paid downloads, but not P2P
> filesharing.

The most likely scenario here is the one that's already been mentioned a
couple times - that your customer, basically, was conned. At this time,
I don't know of any (legal) services that operate that way.

"At this time" being the key phrase.

Over time, this WILL become an issue. Bram Cohen (the author of the
popular BitTorrent software) has made deals with a number of media
centers, such that bittorrent.com is now has a non-trivial amount of
legal content that users download using P2P software. And there are the
classic examples like Linux ISOs and archive.org. There were rumors that
Apple might integrate some kind of P2P software into their iTV (now
AppleTV) product, to speed the download of purchased programming. I
don't think anything came of that, but still.

Like it or not, a lot of our customers want to use P2P software, and
we're basically out of time for the old "everything you do is illegal"
speech, because that's provably not true any longer. (Yes, it's still
95% true, but that's a quibble.)

Generally, I tell users that I really don't care what they're
downloading, only how they're downloading it. A brief speech on how RF,
as a shared medium, works, and most customers are at least somewhat
understanding. (Note: not necessarily "happy," just "understanding.")

As a tangent to this, has anyone deployed a sizeable wireless network
that uses, say, Mikrotik's M3P or something similar for the end-users?
If so, does it actually make P2P usable for end-users without making
everyone's connections feel sluggish?

David Smith
MVN.net