I have been doing a bit of research recently and am curious, if this is the first commercial release of WiMAX gear, how much of the stuff out there is FCC certified? I know that other companies as well as Alvarion have had several WiMAX networks up and running for a while now, but it is my understanding that the lions share of them are over seas ventures which obviously don't have to be FCC certified gear.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at their thoughts on WiMAX in 5.x any time soon? I know that Towerstream is either using or moving to Aperto's WiMAX-like 5.x gear (can't be WiMAX certified in 5.x yet as I understand it). My question is, will WiMAX UL be subject to interference just like WiFi but have a higher throughput or are there other significant issues at play in UL?

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless

Patrick Leary wrote:
Hi folks,

I just wanted this community to be aware of this. It does represent a
major milestone for the industry, even though this is not license-exempt
equipment. It is a market first. This is a commercial release, not an
announcement of an upcoming product.

Mar 21, 2007 Alvarion Addressing Widespread Demand for 802.16e-Based Solutions

Extensively Tested with Carriers Around the World and Currently
Shipping, BreezeMAX is the Cornerstone of Company's 4Motion

Tel Aviv, Israel, March 21, 2007 - Alvarion Ltd. (NASDAQ: ALVR), the
world's leading provider of WiMAX and wireless broadband solutions,
today announced that its new BreezeMAXTM system, designed to comply with
802.16e, is available to address widespread demand for solutions based
on the latest version of the WiMAX standard.   After successful network
trials and extensive testing now taking place in different regions
around the world with customers in Angola,  Costa Rica, El Salvador,
France, Guatemala, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Russia, United States and
other countries, Alvarion's new BreezeMAX system is designed to enable
broadband anytime, anywhere as part of its 4MotionTM comprehensive
network solution for mobile WiMAX.
One example is DigitalBridge Communications (DBC), a provider of
broadband services to underserved communities using WiMAX technology,
which has selected Alvarion as its solutions partner.
"WiMAX allows us to bring broadband services to many smaller communities
that were previously too costly to serve with older technologies," said
Kelley Dunne, CEO of DigitalBridge Communications. "DigitalBridge
Communications has developed a highly scalable network deployment and
back office platform that will enable us to take advantage of WiMAX
economics to bring broadband to communities nationwide. We needed a
solutions partner who brought market scalability and comprehensive
engineering support to aid our growth. With a proven track record of
leadership in the WiMAX industry, Alvarion was the natural choice."

Using Alvarion's award-winning BreezeMAX as its radio access network
(RAN), 4Motion operates at 2.3, 2.5, and 3.5 GHz and is already being
used by more than 15 customers to provide fixed, nomadic and portable
broadband services in urban, suburban and rural areas alike. BreezeMAX
and 4Motion are the foundation of Alvarion's OPENTM WiMAX, an
operator-centric, all-IP ecosystem that will enable service providers to
choose network equipment and consumer electronics equipment from any
combination of vendors and partners to best fit their specific mobile
network requirements.

"After working for the past few months with several core customers to
fully test its capabilities, our new BreezeMAX system is ready for use
by anyone planning to deploy an 802.16e WiMAX network," said Tzvika
Friedman president and CEO of Alvarion. "With its nomadic and self
install capabilities, operators can begin offering a variety of data and
voice services over WiMAX. As a result, service providers will benefit
from immediate revenues by offering end users any service, anytime,
anywhere."

According to independent analyst firm, Maravedis, 56% of today's WiMAX
networks are built using Alvarion equipment.

The company's 4Motion solution is designed to offer service providers
greater coverage, capacity and flexibility in their fixed, nomadic and
mobile WiMAX deployments along with improved economics. BreezeMAX
complies with IEEE 802.16 standards and uses OFDM technology for
advanced non-line-of-sight functionality. Its carrier-class design
supports broadband speeds and quality of service, enabling carriers to
offer triple play broadband services to thousands of subscribers via a
single base station. Since its launch in mid-2004, BreezeMAX is the most
popular WiMAX system in the world having been successfully deployed in
over 300 installations, in more than 100 countries worldwide.

About Alvarion
With more than 3 million units deployed in 150 countries, Alvarion
(www.alvarion.com) is the world's leading provider of innovative
wireless broadband network solutions enabling Personal Broadband to
improve lifestyles and productivity with portable and mobile data, VoIP,
video and other services.

Leading the market with the most widely deployed WiMAX system in the
world, Alvarion is leading the market to Open WiMAX solutions with the
most extensive deployments and proven product portfolio in the industry
covering the full range of frequency bands with both fixed and mobile
solutions. Alvarion's products enable the delivery of personal mobile
broadband, business and residential broadband access, corporate VPNs,
toll quality telephony, mobile base station feeding, hotspot coverage
extension, community interconnection, public safety communications, and
mobile voice and data.
As a wireless broadband pioneer, Alvarion has been driving and
delivering innovations for over 10 years from core technology
developments to creating and promoting industry standards. Leveraging
its key roles in the IEEE and HiperMAN standards committees and
experience in deploying OFDM-based systems, the Company's prominent work
in the WiMAX Forum is focused on increasing the widespread adoption of
standards-based products in the wireless broadband market and leading
the entire industry to Open WiMAX solutions.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.
o: 650.314.2628
c: 760.580.0080
Vonage: 650.641.1243
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by PineApp
Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer viruses(84).

viruses.