Where people often screw up with sales and marketing is thinking that
it's a "one-size-fits-all" type of approach
One of the key drivers behind any sales and marketing effort is the
identification of your target customer base
You'll have a MUCH different approach and strategy if you're selling $29
connections vs. $199 connections vs. $999 connections

Here's a curious little tidbit -- a lot of you guys probably know that
I'm currently in the distribution business, I sell cheap simple stuff
(Mikrotik, Pigtails, etc) and expensive complicated stuff (Licensed
Backhauls, Softswitches, Enterprise WiFi systems)...I train my sales
people differently depending on their role and/or account focus...

Regarding sales, a lot of emphasis is put on "closing techniques" and
"objection handling" -- however, we have found that these skills and not
uniformly applicable across all types of sales

For example...when trying to sell a $99 Mikrotik board, where the
benefits are readily apparent (it does a lot of stuff really cheap),
"closing techniques" are beneficial b/c they force a decision and
shorten the sales cycle (this is an efficiency play) -- why is this
helpful, well, if the prospect can't figure out how good of a deal that
$99 Mikrotik is within a few minutes, he's not going to figure it out
anytime soon, and it's really not worth $99 (plus keep in mind I have a
5-7% average gross profit margin) to spend hours and hours educating
someone on this

On the other hand, when trying to sell a $75k VoIP softswitch, where the
need is customized to the particular customer, "closing techniques" end
up losing the sale b/c the benefits are not always readily available to
the customer (and $75k is a much harder and more thought out decision to
make than $99 =).  In this regard, we actually focus our sales training
more on "qualification" and "needs-benefit analysis" to (1) determine
that this is something that the customer can actually use and (2)
educate the customer on how this solution can help them save money, blah
blah blah

Apologies for my rambling, but I'm not really a morning person, but
thought I'd just throw in my 2 cents...

-Charles

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You