Scriv,
We use Redback for PPPoE authentication to around 15,000 subs. It's a breeze for customer accounting and really simplifies routing static IP's, subnets and private contexts. We are also in the VOIP arena where PPPoE has failed us. PPPoE encapsulation will strip most of your QoS. Keep that in mind.

-Eric

John Scrivner wrote:
Are any of you running PPPoE on your client connections back to a PPPoE concentrator? Is this a good approach? I have heard that one big advantage of this is that you can setup Radius to set everything up for authentication very easily and that you can set every client up as their own individual subnet so that they are all routed back to your PPPoE concentrator / router in your office. I would think this would address many of the client to client radio traffic concerns of CALEA without changing any APs. Isn't this a fix for that one concern? Does that make sense? If not then why not?

I like the idea of easily managing my accounts for turning them on or off for non-payment and automatically setting bandwidth rules. I use Radius in a big way for my existing dialup customer base and this sounds like the berries to me. I welcome other thoughts from those who are using or considering using PPPoE or similar techniques. Any alternatives which work better?

Happy Easter guys and gals,
Scriv