From: Dylan Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Apr 18, 2007 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Main Street USA
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>

I second the motion for Meraki. I only ordered a single unit to see what it
has to offer, as documentation is sparse. It would be great for your
application. The Outdoor units are $100, and are just the $50 minis in a
plastic enclosure with a small (2 dBi?) rubber ducky and right-angle RP-SMA
adapter. The radios are PoE, and there's another hole in the enclosure
through which a pigtail (<1/2" diameter, as I learned) might be routed for
an external antenna. It's all dead easy; just connect every fifth one or so
to your primary wireless system. They actually have rudimentary support for
connecting upstream through non-mesh wifi, but there would be a performance
hit.

My problem with the Meraki system is that it does not, at this point, allow
you to do a combination of free and paid service (paid services are active
now, Doug). It's either or. If it's set to paid, even YOU pay.

I'd like to GIVE a Meraki node to every subscriber and offer a limited free
service, free extended access for the subscribers hosting the nodes, and
paid daily/monthly service for others. People share, so why not help them
and, at worst, get a little marketing exposure by making freeloaders look at
my logo every time they log on. Regular subscribers would be able to log on
anywhere someone else on my network hosted a node. That house just out of
range but within view of another house on my network could live (happily, in
lieu of alternatives) with wifi service through the neighbor's mesh node.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible yet.

There's not really a question in here, but I'll affirm the statement.
Currently a network can only be configured in one of several ways.  We
are investigating offering multiple modes but this happens to take
lower priority than some features we're already working on (viz. WPA
support).

If you're inclined to give access to a handful of devices, you can
just whitelist the MAC addresses for those devices.  When whitelisted
devices attempt to access the network, they should bypass the
splash/authentication screen.  Let me know if you try to set this up
and how well it works for your installation.

We recognize that by-hand whitelisting won't really work for offering
tiered services, though.

Regards,
Chase