You're reading too much into it.

They're right.  The ability is there to mirror every packet to/from a IP
address onto disk.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of ralph
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 12:23 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Mikrotik's (lame) answer to CALEA as of 4/23

It is lame because it is a feature that the user community needs and
wants,
and the vendor is passing the buck.

Not surprising, concerning their actions on FCC certification of other
products.

Mikrotik makes dandy router software and I support them on that.

We do use the PC version in some POPs

Open CALEA is just not yet ready for prime time, however the compliance
date
loometh soon.

The CALEA tap/probe should be something that can be done in the router
(I
think that's how Cisco implemented it).

Because Imagestream will have it ready May 1st, we went with their box
just
to have something that works now has been tested with the FBI.

I'd just like to feel that the company who many of us support heavily
should
listen to and support its customers better.

I've seen your posts and am well aware that one can capture all traffic
via
mirror port and hand the whole shebang over to the LEA, or we can spend
hours wading through it and massaging data (which I think might cause it
be tainted). We've probably all captured users' traffic before and
probably
all know how to run Ethereal.

I'd just like to see an accepted method that doesn't take an abundance
of
time to institute and maintain.

I'm curious- do you have a solution, working now, that uses the hardware
you
mention and OpenCALEA to deliver a product that will be accepted by law
enforcement, or are you just talking concepts?

  _____