I've found your posts articulate, intelligent, and often very insightful. I agree with many of things you write. But I can't help but disagree with literally everything you've said here in this post. I'd spent nearly a decade representing a large corporation in public coordination functions with the rest of the wireless industry at large, and government. True, you learn to not believe anything anyone ever says on its face, but if you're successful in what you do you dig for the true motive of everyone. You also learn that the public good is very often served by concensus, even if it's expressed through regulation. It's unfortunate that much of regulation is not an expression of anything but the voice of who has the most money & influence. The responsible thing is to play to make it better (spoken as one who tried), but that hardly ever equates to "burn it all down." Can you really find no redeeming qualities in anything expressed thru your government?

Respectfully,
Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Koskenmaki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Open Meeting on 700 MHz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Comroe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:34 AM

Before I start sounding like Mark, I need to state that I believe
government plays an important helpful (even

Ok, now that I stopped snickering... Rich, we're not that far apart... but
the difference between is, is that I'm willing to argue what we all know,
but often just don't really want to address.   That being the obvious
outcomes vs the ideal we want.

vital) role to promote US industries and provide the best services for the
US people.  I just think they're >doing a bad job in this regard.  I
fervently believe that regulatory anarchy is the worst thing for us all
collectively when it comes to signals that can travel long distances.
There's no excuse for lack of regulation >which can destroy the utility of
our spectrum which can all go the way of CB.  There's a terrible need for
active FCC watch-dogs to weigh-in to counteract the impact of paid
lobbyists.  Of course, the major >industries have a voice that's orders of
magnitude louder.  But that's the way it's always been.

That's the nature of government for you.

The "nature" has certain observable qualities, and I address those here.
That's why I state things like government being lethal. That's its nature, that's just how things are. You people keep confusing that with the notion
of promoting anarchy, which I am not.    As someone once said "eternal
vigilance" is the price we must pay as a democratic type society to get and
keep liberty - and that could be defined as having a reasonably just and
responsible government. "Eternal Vigilance" can be defined, when it comes
to WISP's, as standing up for or against everything that impacts our
business, our services, or our ability to do either.

It is the very nature of government and the governed to be adversarial. I know many of you think that's some kind of politics, but it's not partisan.
It's just the nature of the beast, as they say.  Anyone who thinks that we
must give up something, does nothing but offer payment for empty air.
Unless we are EVER defensive, eternally vigilant,  we WILL get trod into
oblivion.   That doesn't take bad people, or ANY hostility on the part of
the regulators toward us, that's just the consequences of the motions of the
1500 pound gorilla attempting to walk around the anthills.

If we have good enough things to say, and ones that give the regulators the ability to say good things about what they do, then we needed play 'quid pro
quo" which is just a nice way of saying "shady dealings" which we all
despise.   Most of them would rather have something good to say and do
something good... It's easier, but until or unless we give them that
ammunition, INTACT, it's not going to happen.

Rich
----- Original Message ----- From: Jack Unger