Two quick thoughts:

1) If it was so easy to encrypt, more would do so. These things are to catch the mastermind genius, which thankfully are few and far between, but to catch the idiots. And most people are surrounded by idiots. Why even... never mind. If encryption was easy, PGP would be universal and Enron and company would not have been embarrassed by the emails.

2) I get that CALEA - and other gov't induced regulation - is one big PITA and should be fought. But, ya know, it is VERY freaking hard to get any support to fight these measures. (How many volunteered to go to DC?) Even you posted anonymously, so how do you get support? And since you won't use your identity here, I assume that getting you to post to the FCC or write a Congress Critter or anything wouldn't happen.

Lemmings? No. But it is, IMO, better to help people who want to comply - to provide information, solutions, thoughts. Since we are under a deadline, spending the little time to comply is what I see as a productive use of my time.

I get calls from frightened owners who don't know how to comply, who have vendors scaring them into a $800 per month box, who get varying answers to questions from different sources. So this is how I choose to direct my effort.

If you and Mark and others want to spend this time period re-directing the Lemmings to run up Capital Hill, be my guest. But it would be just as effective to do this on May 15, after we have helped the many who want to comply.

That's my 25 cents.

Peter @ RAD-INFO

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Another two cents that may or may not be worth ANYTHING at all.

<RANT>

I have sat back and observed for some time now (with much disdain) as the 'herd' runs as fast as we can toward the cliff.

I am still waiting to see if the herd (WE) turn out to be lemmings or not, but the cliff is quickly and abruptly approaching.

   1.

      CALEA compliance for WISPs...
         1.

            WHY?
               1.

Members really perceive it will foster increased national security.
                      *

Not really, there are numerous open sourced encryption / traffic scramble techniques which render useless a raw packet stream capture. (These efforts are born of a noble cause, that of subverting tyrannical government communications interceptions, primarily focused upon subverting the effort of governments known for human rights violations like North Korea, China, etc.) But one must presume that these same tools can and will be employed by criminals with malice, as well as employed for good PATRIOTS in these other unfortunate circumstances / countries.

mac spoofing, onion routing, anonymous relay, hybrid layer X techniques

non standards based file / data encryption techniques

Steganography , Mnemonics, NUMEROUS Crypts / Cyphers

                              Combinations of the above plus more!
               2.

Because Carnivore's commercial replacement is not doing the job already?
                      *

The FED has replaced the Carnivore program with an amendment to CALEA, and it is a move which transferred the costs of the program from the government to you! The feds already have the technology to do this, they just decided they wanted you to pay for it.
                      *

Why don't we observe (in time frame context) some EOIs (Events of interest)

In late 2004 it is becoming more apparent that the RBOC battles over muni-wireless are losing ground, despite lobby dollars and presumably, promises of legislation supporting the RBOCs effort.

Additionally, in late 2004 the CLECs really started eyeballing these WISP guys and it occurred to the CLECs that what the WISPs had going was GOOD. Rather than re-invent the wheel with traditional wired facilities, (UNE was dead or dying at this time), so we began initiatives to re-organize accordingly.

But alas, they did not go so far as to form tight alliances to the WISP community. Regardless, the die was cast. WISPs had made ripples to the very tops of the incumbent carrier realm via the interest put forth by the CLECs.

http://www.public-i.org/telecom/report.aspx?aid=744 Take some time to REALLY observe the changes taking place in ILEC, RBOC, and CABLECO lobby spending during 2003-2006. Notice how they increased HUGELY and now encompassed not only Federal, but now also STATE / LOCAL levels of government? Notice how your business value as a WISP has eroded during this same time frame?
               3.

                  It is the Law

                              hmm MLK, was a law breaker.
Well, I suppose that if a law were entered into record requiring that your children be implanted with RFID or some other tracking system, you would call a meeting to see how you can most efficiently comply?

Can't happen you say? Ok, suppose a law gets voted in that requires child inoculation. Next suppose that same law gets amended w/o voter over site to also include RFID implant. Well that is essentially what has transpired with CALEA.

When CALEA was written (circa 1994) its reason of creation was to address the digitally switched networking equipment en vogue at RBOC / ILEC facilities. To be able to lawfully intercept the CDR (call detail records) of a SUSPECT.

                              Ok, it is the law, is it being applied to:
                                  +

Public libraries whom provide Internet access? NO
                                  +

Starbucks, McDonalds, Lowes, and other major corps whom provide public access wifi hotspots? NO
                                  +

http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/woissues/techinttele/calea/caleajan07.pdf
               4.

                  It is Patriotic...

Way wrong, observe the historical definition of patriotism. The label of patriot has historically been applied to groups rebelling.
                                  +
                                        #

Patriots (Founding Fathers of USA, rebelled against England)
                                        #

Patriots (Dutch group that rebelled against the Orangists in the United Provinces in the 18th century.)
                                        #

Les Patriotes, those who supported independence for what is now Québec, Canada, during the Lower Canada Rebellion.

I think it would more define Patriotic if we had made efforts in the following areas:
                                  +

Contacting our subscribers to notify them, and attempt to collect and coordinate their feelings about this.
                                  +

Operating as a group to notify the FCC that they should review the form 447 filings that have been made, so they could calculate the impact of WISPs forming an alliance to shut down their networks in cyclic outages (disconnect the 'internet' leave your intranetwork traffic flowing, as a peaceful protest of the draconian measures be forced upon us as an industry group.

Dictionary definition: A patriot is someone who feels patriotism, support for their country.
         2.

            COST?
               1.

Won't waste a minute of your time on the dollars. We all know that for ourselves. If not, contact Neustar for a quote.
               2.

I am referring to the following. If the real true GOAL of WISPs being mired in CALEA is because two people connected to the same AP MIGHT pass packets that aren't captured by current means, then can some one please tell me... How we can expect an embedded, low power, 'edge' of network device like an AP to have enough CPU to provide our subscribers the service they are accustomed to while mirroring/capturing traffic?
   2.

      Frequency
         1.

            Face it, Spectrum Auctions are completely redonk.
               1.

With out more 'public outcry' type pressure being applied for the FCC to widen 'for public use', unlicensed spectrum, then the large, fat cat, corporate behemoths will keep our WISP efforts comfortably confined to only very small portion of market, and 'we the people' are worse off because of it.
               2.

I sincerely hope that I live to see the day when the devices are allowed to be truly freq. portable / agnostic. To see a time when my devices may communicate with each other with custom wave forms simultaneously even if walking in the same frequency.
   3.

I love what WISPs /CLECs have done, I love what WISPs are about, we are truly participants in our communities whom care. I hope we as WISPs are not about to transform into lemmings and run the herd off a cliff.

</RANT>

Some may know me, but I do appreciate your candor in not revealing it. ;) lol
Peace and freedom to all,
XXX