Hi WiSPs, I think what is going on is one's dedication
to thier customers (subscribers) and one's tremendous
responsbility of running a large network.  The
juxtiposition of rural and urbane is also a factor. I
will use me as an example. I come from very humble
rural background - think Andy Griffith and Mayberry.
Personal service, intimate relationships, and other
customs learned in a rural environment. When I moved
to the Silicon Valley/San Francisco what a surprise! I
actually had to make an appointment see someone!  And
I had to learn how to handle over 100 large
semiconductor customers at one time, with complex
contracts, huge power quality issues (IEEE1159) and
interaction with government agencies. My goodness was
I naive.  Thank goodness I had my education (MBA, BA,
blah blah).  But I still had my rural leanings which
helped me with making human relationships with my
giant customers.  But I came to rely on my urbane
network engineers to help me run a big system. Thank
goodness they were around.

I think that is what's going on. A balance of
dedicated service to our customers verus running a
complex network.   Mother Nature solve this by
enclosing a complex system in the human body,  the
cell, the mithochondrian, the nucleus.

Felix
MBA/BA-Bioscience
2 years towards MSEE