From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Koskenmaki
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 3:07 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: Regulators: Fickle or Not WAS: RE: [WISPA] was School WiFi ,
about technical values.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Herrmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 12:20 PM
Subject: Regulators: Fickle or Not WAS: RE: [WISPA] was School WiFi ,about
technical values.

> Mark-
>
> Which is it?
>
> Quote  1:
>
> Shaky is the term I used, because this classification isn't law, just FCC
> opinion.   That's obviously subject to whatever breeze blows through DC.
> Now that there is no longer consistency in all matters,  the defense
against

> Quote 2:
>
> kinda doubt it's going to happen.  At least not soon,  regulators are
> notorious for not liking change, since it makes things less tidy for them.

Rick, we're talking about apples and oranges here.   Quote 1 is "opinion".
It is the FCC's opinion that we're subject to CALEA.   At one time, they had
the opposite opinion.   Their opinion is all that keeps us from being fully
regulated and untaxed like the phone companies are.   Now that they have
inconsistency in that classification,  pressure to change others is much
more effective.

Quote 2 is about published and established rules.   They don't like changing
them... they resist that, because it's untidy.    Every rule change has
unintended consequences, and government never likes unknowns.