To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ok, here's my CALEA statement, and farewell.

You cannot expect others to take up your flag and run into a fight if you will not lead the way.

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:

I hereby declare that I am NOT a facilities based provider, since I do not
have any physical point on my network that can be tapped, mirrored, probed,
or otherwise possible to intercept.   I have no "equivalent" to a switched
network.

There you have it.

We're putting my network your mouth is, folks.   Continually, there is the
statement that nobody will be requied to change their network.   We'll see
how true to their word the government is. Trusting government's word is THE definition of ultimate stupidity, but I have no other choice. My prediction is that those statements are only words, and it will ultimately be proven a
total lie.

Now, I HAVE a suggestion for LE for how to get information, and I'll be
happy to help them do it, but my particular network simply has NO possible
mechanism.  I have spent weeks trying to figure some possible way to meet
the definition of "compliance" but it isn't possible.

Of course, this is of no help to the poor people who now face serious
financial issues. I regret that WISPA refuses to officially go to bat for
them.

For that matter,  I regret wasting WISPA's time.  You fine folks are now
reading my last post to anything related to WISPA and on any WISPA list.
When WISPA turned it's back on the small people, and started insisting that
defending right and good was no longer allowed by a "mature" industry,
defining "mature" as being absolutely blind to issues of right / wrong or
even recognition that government is overreaching, it lost my support. When
it became downright hostile to the interests of us as people,  it set up
itself as something I am hostile to as a matter of principle. As one of our
forefathers said, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.  Not just
during speeches, not just as talking points during elections, but in EVERY
aspect of our lives, be it religious, business, political, social, and
educational.   When hostility to the notion of defending ourselves against
overreaching government is displayed for purposes of expedience or
convenience or "ingratiating ourselves with those in power", then I cannot
in good conscience support or be associated.  Sorry.  If principle isn't
worth defending and upholding, it's not principle, just "public stances".
I will never regret upholding principle, but I will certainly regret NOT.

I have very much enjoyed some of the conversations over the many moons, the awesome character and generosity post Katrina displayed by so many, and some of the great people I've conversed with and some of the most fascinating and
thought provoking discussions over the many months I have been here.

A few years ago, I would have probably kept my mouth shut and just gone
along.   But no more.  I have had more than enough.  I decided that I will
live, speak, and associate according to my best conscience. It applies even
to my business and how I treat my customers.   My first taste of this was
when I turned down a job because it required me to violate my conscience.
I was unemployed and utterly broke.  Some thought me insane, but just days
later I had a real job, with pay dramatically exceeding the one I turned
down...and I got to live and work the highest ideals.

Seriously, folks...  It's been a fascinating ride, and I have no hostility
to any of you, though we disagree or agree or dont' even understand each
other.

I'll be easy enough to find elsewhere...  Just look for the fanaticly
devoted wireless and freedom advocate, and I'll be there.

Later, folks.