(reply to an older posting, I'm trying to catch up....)

Matt,

I bought some Dell PowerConnect 2708 switches last fall. That is a smaller 8 port gig switch, it was the cheapest one I could find that did port mirroring. About $82 now, go onto Dell's website as small business or the price might go up drastically (under the EDU section, it was about $100 more).

The 2708 is smaller, I wanted to mount it inside a box up a grain leg, so that was what I wanted. They have 16 and 24 port versions. All them come with ears for rack mounting. The 24 port one has two fiber ports.

I've had one installed at 140' for about two months now with no issues. The other one is in my basement NOC, guess I'll need to move that to my other POP before CALEA kicks in. (ugggh, this weekend! time flies...)

One concern I had with these is the temperature rating. Only goes down to 32 F. But the switches that were rated for colder were much more expensive and didn't do port mirroring until $300+. But I've had Allied Telesys cheap switches that are also rated to 32 last thru the winter with no problems. (think we hit -20 in February)

That SMCGS24C-SMART that Ty Carter mentions also sounds interesting.
-John