The lower the gain antenna (less narrow - or wider beam width) the more
broad the path it makes. The tighter (higher gain) the beam width of the
antenna the more condensed it is or less area it will cover as it is more
"focused" to achieve the extra gain in dbi.

 This is one of those things that you will have to figure out for each new
POP you install - as to what coverage you want for the selected area.

You are correct in stating that each of the examples you gave will lead you
to max EIRP allowed by the FCC, but they are two totally different critters
when you get them built out.

Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
Rayville, La.