Lonnie Nunweiler wrote:

I'm going out on a limb and will voice some things that have been suppressed.

I get your point that you think I am a freeloader and do not
contribute.  My problem for not joining is not a money one, but rather
one of principle.

I did get involved early on and saw that there was still an old guard
of the good old boys.  They played favorites early on and still do.
Is it proper to support that?  It would be very BAD for the Industry
if one were to push and fight the GOB's, but, and this in not an
excuse, I do not have to time for such fights.  There are other more
important things to do, so I lurk, and occasionally chime in when I
feel something has been really missed or has gone overboard.  It is
better for me not to get into fights and the Organization does need
that either.

If you - and supposedly everyone else on this list and some people that left - don't like the Org or what it stands for:

A) what are you doing here?
B) Why didn't you change it early on?
C) Is there an Org doing a better job?
D) What is it you want them to do?
(Besides go to the FBI and say we won't stand for it)

Do I support WISPA?  Partly.

How?

When things like CALEA come up and people are sent to talk with the FBI and FCC, what is their game plan?
What are they trying to do for the membership?  All I saw was a few
people were star struck that they actually talked the HEAD of the FBI
for CALEA.  BIG DEAL.  Those people put their pants on one leg at a
time like we all do.  Did you tell these guys what would be best for
the Industry?  Did you even know what was good for the Industry?  Or
did you take your hat in your hand and come back and use all sort of
tactics to get people to sign that they would be ready for CALEA
compliance, when in fact nobody even knew what that would require?

You and other supporters of this line of thinking could have spoken to the Board, got on a plane, and spoken to the Head of the FBI CALEA yourself. (I get what you are saying, but again just riding in the backseat and pointing out that this is the wrong way to go, when you could be steering is weak). I watched another Org fold because no one wanted to challenge the GOB network. I will say this though - if you aren't a member, how do you have a say in what the Org does?

I feel that WISPA should have taken a much harder line on that and
other issues.  Any members who spoke against what the FBI and FCC told
the WISPA group were quickly put down and isolated.  It was disgusting
to watch.  It certainly was not a functioning democracy.  It was
pretty heavy handed.

There were maybe 4 people complaining - and I was probably the loudest critic, because at the time (pre-May 14) the discussion should have been on How to Comply. You can discuss non-compliance all you want now.

Plus of the 4, how many stepped up and actually led anything or did anything? There was a form letter sent to the list to get behind the Congressman, but no follow up, no nothing.
You want to go to the FCC, make an appointment and go.
(Don't give me the I'm too busy speech either, because everyone is busy).

In short, I have not seen the organization really go to bat for the
membership.

Example?

Sure you don't have the funds, but do you compromise
everything until you get the funds?  Or do you stand up for what is
right and people either support you or not?

My suspicion is you'll
get the support if you represent what people want.  People vote with
their feet and pocketbooks.  I've seen a lot of good people leave.
I've seen a lot of good people forced out because the GOB's could not
stand them.  And I've seen a lot of good people (mostly everybody on
this list) not support WISPA financially.  Does that tell you
anything?

Lots. It says I'll take what I can get for free - and not risk anything to improve my Industry.
But that's me being a hardcase.
It's too easy to say "until things change" or "I'm busy" or "the GOB".
Hog wash. You built a Wireless business, right? So how hard would it be to herd cats?
Especially when you tell me that you seem to have their pulse.

No you don't need more Vendors, you need a reality check so
you can get more members.  This whole idea that you need more Vendors
because they pay the most is, well, so commercial sounding.  I'm sure
that business principles have to be used to run and account for
things, but to raise money?  No, that should not be a business.

Lonnie