From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick Leary
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:01 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Re: [WISPA FCC] FCC 3650 band response
today..thelawyerswin most

Hi John,

Well, remember that as far as the FCC is concerned, WiMAX IS
contention-based. Keep in mind they are not using a Wi-Fi definition;
their definition is broader, but puts "contention" products in two
possible camps: restricted and unrestricted.

"Unrestricted" to them are contention protocols like LBT, that not only
can cooperate with other like products, but sense and react to systems
using other protocols.

"Restricted" contention product are things like 802.16, which is
scheduled but can "cooperate" with other like systems via the shared
standardized scheduling mechanisms.

My point here is to try to nip in the bud any myth before it arises
about what the FCC considers "contention" versus what the WISP community
(really the entire UL community) considers contention. In other words,
the FCC is VERY clear that contention does not equal 802.11, though .11
fits fully within its definition. You can expect over time other
protocols that are not .11 that will also meet the FCC's requirement
fully and will be allowed to use all 50 MHz of the band.

Now, as to your main question about Alvarion...let's just say things are
moving. BreezeMAX, the .16e TDD version has now been commercially
shipping inside the U.S. for a few months so it is a real option.
BreezeACCESS VL is also a real option.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.