I thought it might be interesting for all involved to discuss what we as WISPs are looking for in 3.65 radios. As I see it, we can expect to either get radios that are much the same as we currently have, but operate in a different spectrum or something different that makes best use of this unique spectrum.

In our case, we have had an experimental 3.65 license for some time and had a chance to understand the propagation properties of the spectrum and how it relates to the existing spectrum we have access to. In our markets, trees are a huge factor limiting our LOS coverage. Unfortunately, we found that 3.65 doesn't get us much help when it comes to NLOS through foliage. We did however find that NLOS through buildings worked significantly better than with 5.8. This can be a combination of factors that I might not fully understand, but nevertheless these findings make us very interested in an urban NLOS 3.65 radio.

What I would like to see is for a radio vendor to provide a PtMP system that operates in 3.65 and has CPE radios designed for indoor NLOS deployment. I already have a solution for outdoor urban use. And, through the use of equipment like what is offered by Orthogon we have the ability to deploy indoor NLOS using 5.8, but it is expense and less than ideal.

If any vendors are looking along these lines let me know. As I stated previously, we have a 3.65 experimental license that we could beta test the equipment with. Additionally, we are planning a large 3.65 deployment throughout our markets as soon as equipment becomes available, so we can commit to large qualities of radios.

-Matt