From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Hammett
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:11 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Hotspot construction

When building a hotspot type environment, power is needed to cover the whole
area.  Obviously you have no control over the laptop's abilities.  Does a
sectorized AP (say 17 dbi 90* sectors) with low power (perhaps XR2 cards
with output power turned down) match or best the coverage abilities of
multiple APs with rubber duckies?

My thought is that the increased gain of the sectors helps pull in the
laptops, allowing for someone to deploy less APs, resulting in a cleaner
band.  My thought on the XR2s in that they have increased receive
sensitivity and cleaner reception than other cards, the increased power
output would be negated by a lowering of the transmit power to not step on
my own feet, crowd the spectrum, overload close receivers, etc.

I would think to mount on building roofs, with downtilt on the sectors and
have more than 1 sector cover areas that are likely to have reduced signal
due to building density and foliage.  Tough areas could just have a smaller
AP with a ducky.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions