From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dawn DiPietro
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 7:10 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] MT Babble

Sam,

Since some here feel I have no credibility because I no longer run a
WISP I will let you decide from this information provided.

Starting on page 78 of the following link should explain why the
wireless devices in question cannot be certified as computers.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-2-16-06.pdf

Regards,
Dawn DiPietro

Sam Tetherow wrote:
> I think the question that really hasn't been answered is if a RB can
> be certified class B and then use a certified radio/antenna combo as
> is allowed with a PC/laptop.
> And you are right that then FCC makes the rules.  What is not clear is
> that Dawn's (and others) position that the component rules can not
> apply to an RB or other SBC.  The only people that can clarify this is
> the FCC.
>
> As for FCC certification in general, I think there are two major
> factors that come into play with uncertified gear.  There are several
> that deployed  the equipment under the false impression that it was
> legal because they complied with the EIRP rules (and many still
> persist in this belief).
> The other is the simple fact that no one has been fined, to my
> knowledge, for using uncertified gear.  There have been instances of
> people that have been fined for using over EIRP and unauthorized use
> of licensed bands.
>
> If the FCC has not fined for the behavior yet and has made unofficial
> statements to the effect that they are more worried about EIRP and
> 477, it comes as no surprise that people will not follow the law.  As
> you pointed out most people regularly break the speed limit, which is
> a law with an associated fine but they continue to do so because the
> fine is not large enough or incurred often enough to make it an
> effective deterrent.
>
>    Sam Tetherow
>    Sandhills Wireless
>
> Matt Liotta wrote:
>> This has become a ridiculous thread. Dawn's customer experience is
>> irrelevant in this case. Plenty of operators who have lots of
>> customers (including me) understand and agree with the position
>> presented. Don't kill the messenger! The FCC makes the rules; not
>> Dawn or me or any of the other folks who have made accurate
>> statements regarding certification. Use of certified equipment is
>> required by law. Many people break laws for a variety of reasons, but
>> that doesn't change the law. For example, everyday I drive over the
>> speed limit and occasionally I am fined for doing so.
>>
>> -Matt

1:10 PM