Blair/Chris: I worked with my local WISP whose been in
the business a long time and loved helping them to
build their business.  We installed a combination
mobile mesh/fixed wireless system using equipment from
a major manufacturer and provided the following:

Wireless Mobile mesh network with the 4.9 GHz license
Electric utility metering using the 2.4 GHz (WiFi)
in a Point to Point and Point to MultiPoint. The fleet
manager will eventually have the modem and mobile
server installed in each truck.  The utilility meters
used a 2.4 Ghz chipset but we had to select the best
channel out of 1-13 channels and locked in SSID at
Channel 5 after RF spectum analysis (which really
means we walked around with a sniffer).

There are other "mobile modems" that you can utilize.

I can hardly wait for the new WiMax 802.16(e)/WiFi
802.11(n) Intel Montevina (Centrino) platform to
arrive. But of course that means you need a 2.5 GHz
license. But as one reader posted I think Sprint may
be eager to work with someone on a lease basis to
build the business case.

I hesitate to mention any manufacturers for fairness.
With that being said IMHO it can be designed,
commissioned and installed with good RF Planning.

I prefer and my field advice is to identify and work
through a VAR, channel partner or disributor type VAR
who can give you personalized service.  Some WISP may
have that capability.  I built my local WISP into a
solutions provider and certified on Mesh.

F.Lopez
Wireless Practioneer