To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Google makes it official -- putting up $4.6 billion

The bad thing about Google's wholesale push is this:

We asked for bidding credits and CMA sized blocks in the upper and lower 700 MHz bands in the upcoming auction. If Google gets their way then the upper blocks will NOT be CMA sized and will have wholesale requirements attached. I can see some of the bigger players sidestepping the larger wholesale-crippled spectrum in order to outbid all of us in the lower CMA sized blocks. In those blocks there will likely be no wholesale requirements. End result? We cannot afford to outbid them and we lose a shot at these bands for our own use. I have never seen a wholesale model for a communications platform that worked. I doubt it will work this time either. I see this as a lose - lose for us if Google gets what they want. I hope I am wrong.
Scriv

Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
Oh man.  This from anyone in the cellular industry!

sigh

I do, however, agree with his point. Goggle could just do that if they win the spectrum. This is clearly an attempt to devalue the spectrum. Not that that's a bad thing. Clearly we've seen that the spectrum tax, oh excuse me, auction, is a market place failure as far as broadband goes.
marlon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Drew Lentz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>