To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Public Safety

I wish that we could get all interests (including WISPs, Cellcos, Two-way, Hams and Public Service) to think in terms of reservation of air time as opposed to exclusivity of bandspace for future spectrum allocations. If an emergency occurs then public safety should be able to force a reservation of airtime in any band they need in my opinion. Then everyone can benefit from having lower-cost, mass-produced equipment which is able to be used by any interests in a given band.

I am not suggesting that we should not dedicate some bandspace for public safety exclusively. They need some. What I am saying though is that many other bands could have the ability to reserve airtime for specific interests when needed. This would also allow for more efficient use of spectrum.

There is no reason that we should not use any bands we can for recreational, experimental and commercial use when there is not an emergency situation. As long as the priority is in place to force the airtime for public safety then we can hand it over instantly if needed. If devices had to ask permission to transmit based on a base station priority system then that system could be used for any purpose including 100% public safety in a disaster. Allowing the priority of traffic to be established instantly means that any interest could make use of the bandwidth under certain conditions as established by a base station with priority control over traffic in real time. We already have some spectrum exclusively used for specific interests. I think all the rest should have multiple use ability.

I may not be doing a good job of describing what I am suggesting but the whole point is that airtime priority partitioning is more important than band exclusivity. We need to start designing and building communications systems with this approach in mind.
John Scrivner

Patrick Leary wrote:
Exactly, and I'm sure Blake wil also agree that 4.9 GHz is useful only
for fixed multipoint, PtP, or picocell tactical mesh (ala Packethop). I
should not say "only" because these are vital needs and enable large,
secure and relatively interference-immune pipes. But since public safety
workers spend most of their time in the field, the critical need is
mobile broadband access -- and the more dedicated in nature (as in
reserved for them) the better. And certainly there are not enough
dollars in the world to build a ubiquitous 4.9 GHz network; it simply is
not the band for such a thing and such an idea would be absurd.

- Patrick, Alvarion